When your heat pump does not turn off, it isn’t easy to maintain the proper temperature inside your home. Your furnace or heating system is probably taking up a lot of energy, which could increase your heating costs.
Are you searching online for the best ‘heating contractor near me’? Look no further than Equi-Tech Mechanical to assist you.
Ways To Resolve Minor Issues Without Calling For Service
1. The Thermostat Is Set Incorrectly
If your house is getting too hot even though your furnace is still on, the issue might not even be a malfunctioning system. Without your knowledge, someone else in the house could raise the thermostat’s setting, significantly raising the heat.
Ways to make sure the thermostat is adjusted correctly:
- Check the temperature settings on the thermostat. Ensure the thermostat is set to your tastes and isn’t too hot because you might need to lower the temperature.
- Try lowering the temperature below the normal room temperature. Check if it stops the heating system, then adjusts the temperature appropriately to suit you.
2. Faulty Fan Settings
The fan is set to run continuously rather than just during a heat cycle. Even though the blower fan can operate without the furnace or air conditioner, you should utilize the setting that only permits it to save energy and better regulate the room’s temperature.
- Verify the fan settings on your thermostat. If your thermostat is digital, you may be able to change the fan setting from auto to on using the display. Alternatively, your thermostat may feature a power switch.
- Ensure that the fan is set to auto on the thermostat. With this option, the blower fan can only operate when the furnace is heating up. The blower fan’s on position causes it to run continuously and pump cool air into your house even when the heat is not on, which can cause temperature fluctuations.
3. Unclean Filter
If you have an air handler and a forced-air furnace, the system uses a filter to collect airborne dust to keep these particles out of the appliance’s interior. When the filter gets too dirty, less air can enter the furnace or heater, which makes the appliance work harder to heat your home effectively and keeps it from shutting off. A new filter is required to address this issue.
- Take out the old filter and place it in the filter compartment.
- Place a fresh filter with the same dimensions in the filter container. Observe the arrows on the filter’s frame to position it correctly.
- If necessary, replace the filter compartment access panel and discard the dirty filter.
4. Alfunctioning Thermostat
One of the typical causes of thermostat issues is a loose wiring connection. You might need to tighten the wiring.
- Turn off the power to your heater or furnace at the circuit breaker.
- To access the thermostat’s wiring panel, remove the cover.
- Examine the thermostat wiring connections for any loose connections. Use a screwdriver to tighten wire connections.
- Reinstall the thermostat cover, then turn your heater back on.4.
Some problems that keep a heat pump running and refusing to shut off can’t be fixed with straightforward troubleshooting. If you followed the above instructions and your heat pump is still not operating properly, give Equi-Tech Mechanical a call.